What’s New in MLD?
Below is a quick checklist of what types of information can be found in MLD; see also Sources and Abbreviations for full bibliographic information. The main sources used are in round brackets. Future upload dates are in square brackets. Last updated 14 May 2020.
- All Mayors and Sheriffs (from MASL), all Aldermen (from Beaven).
- Other civic offices (mostly for the late middle ages) include the Recorders, Undersheriffs, Common Pleaders, Chamberlains, Chamber Clerks/Controllers, Common Clerks, Mayor’s Esquires/Swordbearers, Common Criers/Common Serjeants-at-Arms, Waterbailiffs, Common Hunts, Serjeants of the Channel/Surveyors of Streets and Lanes, Coroners, and Deputy Coroners (Barron, London and Barron, Thesis).
- Bridge House, ward, and market offices will be entered at a future date.
- MPs for London: all from 1290 to 1558, with links to the HPO 1381-1422 and HPO 1504-58 MP biographies [June 2020]
- Mayors of the Westminster staple: up to 1540 (Rich); [September 2020]
- CP40 cases with London plaintiffs and defendants [September 2020]
Craft Members and Officials:
- Bakers: Master and clerk of the company, 1481-1547 (Thrupp, Bakers) [May 2020]
- Barbers: Craft officials: Master and Wardens (Young) [May 2020]
- Barber-Surgeons: all known medical practitioners (Talbot and Hammond; Getz)
- Carpenters: Wardens, beadles, and clerks of the company, 1437-1519 (Leach thesis)
- Cornmongers: those active late 13th to mid 14th century (Feeding the City database) [July 2020]
- Grocers: All craft officials–Masters and Wardens (Kingdon)
- Mercers: c. 3500 member biographies compiled by Anne Sutton
- Merchant Taylors: all wardens, many members c. 1450-1520 (Davies and Saunders, Merchant Taylors, and Hopkinson, Ancient Records);
- Painters: all those identified in London and Westminster (Drimmer)
- Stainers: members and craft officials (Englefield) [October 2020]
- Surgeons: all known (Talbot and Hammond; Getz)
- Tailors: see Merchant Taylors
- Woodmongers: those active c. late 13th-mid 14th century (Feeding the City database) [July 2020]
- Seal owners in the 12th-13th centuries (McEwan, Seals) [June-July 2020]
- 1292 lay subsidy for London (Ekwall)
- 1319 lay subsidy for London (Ekwall)
- 1332 lay subsidy for London (Curtis) [June 2020]
- 1381 poll tax for Southwark (Fenwick, Poll Tax) [September 2020]
- 1436 subsidy for London (Thrupp, Merchant Class)
- PCC will references: Names, occupations, and probate dates of testators residing in London, Southwark, and Westminster c.1390-1540 (TNA PROB 11) [June 2020]
- PCC probate inventory references: Names, occupations, and dates of extant inventories of testators residing in London, Southwark, and Westminster c.1468-1540 (TNA PROB 2) [June 2020]
- Hustings Wills (Sharpe, Hustings) [September 2020]
- New DNB: Links to over 1000 medieval Londoners in the New DNB [Fall 2020]
- Names in the indices of the Calendar of Letter Books and CPMR [Dec. 2020]