The London Topographical Society publishes facsimiles of historical maps, plans, and views of London, as well as research on the city’s buildings, monuments, and streets. It issues both sheet maps and hardcover volumes; those of interest to medievalists include: A Map of London under Richard II (1960); Hugh Alley’s Caveat – The Markets of London in 1598 (1988); The Panorama of London circa 1544, by Anthonis van den Wyngaerde (1996); and London Bridge and its Houses, c.1209-1761 (2019), among others. The society’s journal, The London Topographical Record, publishes scholarly articles about the buildings, streets, maps, and plans of London; digitized copies of journal vols. 1-29 (1898-2006) are available online at Haithi Trust. Articles of interest to medievalists include: C. L. Kingsford, “Historical Notes on Medieval London Houses” (1916, 1917, 1920); J. Tait, “Two Unknown Names of Early London Wards” (1931);”Whittington’s Long House: Four Fifteenth Century London Plans” (1972); “The Medieval Parish Church of St Andrew Holborn” (1980); “Public Punishment and Urban Space in Early Tudor London” (2010); and H. Summerson, “Seem Through the Eyes of the Law: Judicial Records as Evidence for London’s Physical Environment 1272-1307,” among others.
Interactive maps of medieval London:
The ‘Agas Map’: “The Agas Map, The Map of Early Modern London” website makes available an interactive version of the so-called Agas map (named after a surveyor who was mistakenly thought to have been involved in making the map), showing a remarkably detailed view of London’s streets and buildings as they were in the mid-sixteenth century, before the Great Fire. No copies of the first edition (1561) survive, so this website is based on a slightly modified version printed in 1633.
Layers of London allows users to access digitized historic maps of London and create their own collections of photographs, stories, texts, films, and recordings about certain neighborhoods, or types of buildings, events, social groups, or problems during specific periods. Many of the collections have been created by schools and local groups or have been crowd-sourced. Anyone can sign up for a free account. One collection centers around properties in Cheapside, taken from data and reconstructions done for The Historical Gazetteer of London before the Great Fire. The digitized maps now include early maps of London in 1270-1300, 1520, and 1561/1523 (the ‘Agas map’).
Modern maps of medieval London:
The British Historic Towns Atlas volume 3, The City of London from Prehistoric Times to c. 1520, ed. M.D. Lobel (Oxford, 1989), now out of print, includes large-scale maps of London c. 1270 and c. 1520, as well as maps of pre-Roman and Roman London, and of the parishes and wards of London. All these maps, together with the historical chapters and the Gazetteer, are freely available on the Historic Towns Trust’s website. The Historic Towns Trust welcomes comments and suggested emendations to these maps. The Trust is happy to discuss ways in which digital versions or extracts from the maps themselves can be used for educational purposes: see HTT Contact.
City of London, c. 1520 .This digitized color version available in 12 sheets, including a map of parish boundaries, was first printed in M. D. Lobel, ed., The City of London from Prehistoric Times to c. 1520, vol. 3 of The (Oxford, 1989). It is now out of print, but the original Gazetteer and other chapters are available at the British Historic Town Atlas website. The map is also reproduced in black and white in a large-scale, multi-page format in C. M. Barron, London in the Later Middle Ages: Government and People 1200-1500 (Oxford, 2004), pp. 399-430, with a Gazetteer, pp. 431-45.
A revised map of London c. 1520 was published by the Trust in 2018 as a folding map, Tudor London. The City and Southwark in 1520, with street directory and explanatory text (ISBN 978-0-9934698-3-1). The 1989 map has been redrawn, geo-rectified, and improved in several important ways, including extension to include Southwark and Bishopsgate, and the presentation of parish boundaries on the detailed street-map. A smaller-scale map on the reverse shows ward boundaries, overlaid on the street and parish map. See “Revising the Map of Early Tudor London,” for the key differences between the 1989 map and the 2018 version. In 2020, the new map was reprinted with minor revisions. This is the most accurate modern map we have for late medieval London. The new map of early Tudor London has also incorporated into Layers of London.
City of London c. 1270 is a digitized color map available in 2 sheets; it was first printed in M. Lobel, The City of London from Prehistoric Times to c. 1520 (1989). This British Historic Town Atlas website also includes other maps from Lobel: “The Situation of London;” “Pre-Roman London;” and “Roman London.”
A revised map of London c. 1270 has recenlty been redrawn, geo-rectified and extensively updated, and published as a folding map, A Map of Medieval London (ISBN 978-0-9934698-5-5). The new map is at the same scale (1:2500) as the Tudor London map, and includes an inset map of Westminster, as well as a street directory, explanatory text, and a translation of Fitz Stephen’s description of twelfth-century London. The map of London 1270-1300 has also been incorporated into Layers of London.
Maps of the Common Law Inns of Medieval London. Provides an introduction through text and maps to London’s “legal inns,” which provided legal training and a residence for men pursuing careers in the common law courts. There were two types of legal inns: (1) the “major” Inns of Court (including Lincoln’s and Gray’s Inns, and the Inner and Middle Temple), and (2) the “minor” Inns of Chancery, which through the seventeenth century were preparatory for the senior Inns of Court. This section includes a general introduction and bibliography about the inns, a table listing the nineteen known Inns of Chancery, and six high-quality maps showing the location of the legal inns and the involvement of Chancery clerks in the property market in London’s legal quarter (Holborn, Fleet Street, and the Strand). Text by Malcolm Richardson, maps by Gabriele Richardson.
Map of London c. 1300 originally appeared in W. R. Shepherd, Historical Atlas (New York: Henry Holt, 1911; rev. 1926): University of Pittsburgh’s “Images of Medieval Art and Architecture: England: London: Maps,” copyright Alison Stones. See also the version digitized by the Perry-Castañeda Library, University of Texas, Austin [http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/historical/shepherd/london_plan_1300.jpg]; vectorized by Grandiose for Wikimedia Commons [http://commons.wikimedia.org /wiki/ file: Map_of_London,_1300.svg] and (b) University of Pittsburgh’s “Images of Medieval Art and Architecture: England: London: Maps,” copyright Alison Stones.
Location of Trades in Medieval London first appeared in G. Unwin, The Gilds and Companies of London (3rd edn., 1938), p. 34; digitized at University of Pittsburgh’s “Images of Medieval Art and Architecture: England: London: Maps,” copyright Alison Stones.
Parish Fraternities in London c. 1400 was first published in G. Unwin, The Gilds and Companies of London, p. 120; digitized at University of Pittsburgh’s “Images of Medieval Art and Architecture: England: London: Maps,” copyright Alison Stones.
Halls of Livery Companies was published first in G. Unwin, The Gilds and Companies of London, p.185; digitized at University of Pittsburgh’s “Images of Medieval Art and Architecture: England: London: Maps,” copyright Alison Stones.